There's quite a few proven benefits of fasting especially as far as cell repair goes. I don't find doing full day fasts productive for me as I do feel very bad during and after them.
So only fasting I actually do, if you can call it this, is skipping food in evening, before sleep. That gives my body about 12 hours or so of no food, until I take my morning smoothie on following day.
- Only eating between noon and 8 PM helped me eliminate brain fog.
- Fasting activates autophagy which is the body's process of cleansing at cell level. This is the major reason for health improvements related to it.
- Seems like a lot of the benefits of calorie restriction and fasting may come from the fact consuming food produces damaging by-products, note the way you cook the food strongly influences how much of these by products come in the food itself, but your body also produces the. AGE's = Glycation products
- Skipping meals while maintaining adequate nutrition is not only good for you but will make you live longer.
- Once-daily feeding is associated with better cognitive function and health in companion dogs
- Animals, including us, are extraordinarily good at conserving energy and dealing with long periods of famine. One meal a day is a non event metabolically, and makes sense for most of us that lead a sedentary life.
- Dr. Jason Fung - 'Therapeutic Fasting - Solving the Two-Compartment Problem' - Amazing talk.
- Benefits of Fasting
- Great discussions around health benefits of fasting
- Health lies in healthy circadian habits | Satchin Panda (2017)
- Dr. Satchin Panda on Practical Implementation of Time-Restricted Eating & Shift Work Strategies
- Exercise, fasting shown to help cells shed defective proteins (HN)
- Fasting triggers stem cell regeneration of damaged, old immune system (2014)
- How Does Fasting Affect the Brain? (HN)
- Effects of Intermittent Fasting on Health, Aging, and Disease (HN)
- Fasting and rapamycin: diabetes versus benevolent glucose intolerance (2019) (Reddit)
- Fasting improves chemotherapy results and protects from side effects (2020) (HN)
- Intermittent Fasting Improves Long Term Memory (2021) (Reddit)
- How Often Should You Do Intermittent Fasting? (2019) (Tweet)
- Intermittent fasting in mice improves long-term memory retention (2021) (HN)
- Fasting Improves Physiological and Molecular Markers of Aging (2019) (HN)
- Intermittent fasting prompts anti-inflammatory response (2021) (HN)
- First Controlled Human Trial Shows Cutting Calories Improves Health, Longevity (2022)
- Caloric restriction in humans reveals immunometabolic regulators of health span (2022) (HN)
- The Beginner's Guide to Intermittent Fasting (2012) (HN)
- Science of Fasting (HN)
- Time-restricted eating reduces visceral fat and improves metabolic syndrome (2022) (HN)
- Intermittent Fasting Completely Reverses Type 2 Diabetes in Study
- Ask HN: Are you still doing intermittent fasting? (2023)