My favorite browser. It is incredibly fast & cares about my privacy unlike Chrome.
Here are websites I have in my
Favorites which are usually sites I want super fast access to from iOS Safari:
As it is my most used app, I like to script and automate as much of my use of it as possible.
I use this amazing workflow to quickly jump between my currently active Safari tabs as well as search through my history and bookmarks.
I also open any of my most used websites using KM macros. The macro opens the website I specify or if the website is open anywhere in Safari and will jump between the tabs of the website. I use this macro for my most used websites and I can open any website I wish with a single keypress. Both open and switch between various websites.
I mention Safari Extensions I use here.
My favorite of which is Vimari which adds a custom layer of keybinds you can customize to personalize your browsing experience.
Nice OSS Safari extensions
- Amplosion - iOS app/Safari extension to automagically redirect AMP links to their normal counterpart. (Tweet) (HN)
- Open in Apollo Safari Extension - Safari extension bundled with iOS 15 that helps in opening Reddit URLs in Apollo.
- Paint it Red - Safari Web Extension to custom color Safari 15 pages with theme-color.
- HighlightJSON - Tiny Safari Web Extension for presenting highlighted JSON files.
- Svadilfari - Gesture Control for Safari on iOS and iPadOS. (Code)
- Session Buddy - Ultra-light Safari extension helps you save open tabs as collections that can be easily restored later.
- It's useful to turn on
Show full website addressoption in settings.
- There's 500 open tabs limit on Safari. To clear tabs on iOS, long press the bookmark icon, then save all tabs into a folder. Can then open the tabs in the folder from macOS & clear or go through.
- Can right click on any DOM node in the inspector and grab a screenshot of that node
- Safari Extensions JS
- Topee - Framework that runs Chrome extension code on Safari.
- Diving Deep into RadBlock (2020)
- Safari 13, Mobile Keyboards, And The VisualViewport API (2019)
- Safari and Web - WWDC20
- Safari is adopting an extensions API similar to Firefox’s WebExtensions (2020) (HN)
- Should I use WKWebView or SFSafariViewController for web views in my app?
- go-safari - Access Safari bookmarks, reading list, history and tabs.
- How to convert existing web extensions for Safari (2021) (HN)
- Safari 14 added WebExtensions support, so where are the extensions? (2021) (HN)
- Hush - Block nags to accept cookies and privacy invasive tracking in Safari. (HN)
- iOS 14.5 brings the new Safari 14.1 to PWAs and the Web Platform (2021)
- Safari 15 on Mac OS, a user interface mess (2021) (HN)
- For developers, Apple’s Safari is crap and outdated (2021) (HN) (Lobsters) (Reddit)
- One-offs and low-expectations with Safari (2021)
- What are the best extensions for Safari? (2021)
- Safari Extensions for iOS and iPadOS 15: A Roundup of Our Favorites (2021)
- New WebKit Features in Safari 15 (2021)
- Userscripts Safari - Open-source userscript editor for Safari. (Web)
- Stay - Local userscript manager for Safari on iOS.
- Develop a Mac Safari Extension App in 2022
- Push Notifications, WebXR, and better PWA support coming to iOS (2022)
- Safari bugs (2022)
- New WebKit features in Safari 15.4 (2022) (HN)
- Release Notes for Safari Technology Preview 142 (2022)
- :focus-visible is shipping in Safari/WebKit (2022)
- Problems Debugging iOS Safari from Mac (2022)
- Web Push for Safari (2022) (HN)
- Example Expo project using the Safari Extension Config Plugin
- WebKit Features in Safari 16.0 (2022) (HN)
- WebTranslator - Safari web extension for DeepL translate.
- Best Safari extensions
- StopTheMadness - Browser extension that stops web sites from making your browser harder to use.
- Vimlike - Browse the web by keyboard shortcuts like a vim-editor.