Staying on top of things
There is a lot happening in the world every single minute. It's hard to not feel like you are constantly missing out on things.
The truth is that it's a battle you can't win as your time is limited. Thus you should focus on things that truly matter to you. Mindfulness is what helps me keep my focus.
Here are things I do/use to keep my self up to date on things I care about efficiently.
I use custom script to quickly save links to check later. In future I hope to use Learn Anything to handle this.
High priority links/notes are sent as messages to myself on Telegram. I also have bindings to save snapshots of my current tabs on mac into a session I can come back later to.
What I use
I try to stay in touch using these few things:
Twitter with Tweetbot
Twitter is my favorite social media network and it is where I share everything I am personally up to right now. I love Twitter for its ability to tailor completely what news and tweets I am actually reading. I split Tweetbot into two columns on mac. And I use official Twitter iOS app.
Hacker News and Lobsters
They are my two favorite news aggregators on the web. I like Lobsters for its smaller community and quite often better links and discussions.
I mostly use Hckr News and/or HN and Lobsters sorted by new. HN Front is nice too to get a full day coverage of posts. And HN Search is great too.
My Reddit is heavily tailored to my own likes and I very often just look into some subreddits I like to see what is new.
Here is multireddit of subreddits I am subbed too. Less priority subs are put in Other list.
There is also nice list of Reddit subs. I access all these subreddits using Deanishe's Reddit worklfow.
RSS with Inoreader
I follow many blogs.
I love using IRC via Matrix and hanging out in various channels of Freenode. Mostly as a way to get help with an issue that I can't solve on my own after searching for everything.
I sometimes check it out as it does contain some interesting links.
I follow few publications and writers on Medium. I then view new articles from my feed here.
Communities and forums I frequent
I spend a lot of my time on LA Discord server to discuss LA development. As well as macOS/iOS automation Telegram group.
Aside from that I like visiting and at times contributing to these forums:
- Alfred Forum
- Keyboard Maestro Forum
- Indie Hackers
- Merveilles Mastodon Instance - Amazing community of makers & artists.
As well as a few other Slack communities like:
And these Discord servers:
- Rust Programming Language
- Functional programming
- Cardano Community
- Godot Engine
- Shipping Friday
- Atlas Obscura
- Logic Magazine - Print magazine about technology that publishes three times per year.
- Parametric Press (Code)
- Physics Today (HN)
- Psyche - On the human condition.
- Nautilus - Science Connected.
- De Programmatica Ipsum
- The Pudding - Digital publication that explains ideas debated in culture with visual essays.
- Paris Review - Writers, Quotes, Biography, Interviews, Artists.
- The Information - In-depth tech stories you won't find anywhere else.
- Epsilon Theory - Investing and voting seen through the lenses of game theory and history.
- Outside Magazine
- Machine Learning: Science and Technology journal
- Letters of Note - Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience.
- Financial Times
- MIT Technology Review
- Rest of World - Reporting Global Tech Stories. (Why I started Rest of World)
- The Straight Dope
- Future Crunch
- The Gradient
- The Atlantic
- The MIT Press
- Nature Research Analysis
- Branch - Online magazine written by and for people who dream of a sustainable and just internet. (Lobsters)
- BESIDE - Bridging the gap between humans and nature.
- Aeon - Magazine of ideas and culture.
- Bellingcat - Home of online investigations. (GitHub)
- The Cut - Fashion, Beauty, Politics, Sex and Celebrity.
- New York Magazine
- The New Yorker
- The Economist
- Works in Progress
- The New York Times
- Tablet Magazine
- Eye on Design
- Foreign Policy - Global Magazine of News and Ideas.
- Coda Story
- Vox - Understand the News.
- Future Perfect - Vox
- Newlines Institute
- Document Journal
- New Discourses
- Damn Interesting
- Abakcus - Collection of the Best Mathematics and Science Stuff.
- Vulture - Entertainment News.
- The Markup
- 3 Quarks Daily - Science Arts Philosophy Politics Literature.
- C-Heads Magazine - Magazine for photography, fashion, music & youth culture.
- Palladium Magazine
- But What For?
- World Affairs - Objective, Nonpartisan and Insightful.
- Scientific American - Science News, Expert Analysis, Health Research.
- Real Life
- IEEE Spectrum
- The MIT Press Reader
- Inference - International Review of Science.
- A Cup of Jo - Style, Culture, Motherhood, Travel, Food & Life.
- Interesting Engineering
- Eye on Design
- Current Affairs
- ScienceAlert - The Best in Science News and Amazing Breakthroughs.
- Coffee or Die Magazine
- Paris Review - Writers, Quotes, Biography, Interviews, Artists.
- Atlantic Council
- Esquire - Men's Fashion, Cocktails, Politics, Interviews, and Women.
- TLS - Times Literary Supplement.
- Artforum International
- Wallpaper - Design, interiors, architecture, fashion, art.
- The Public Domain Review
- Flaunt Magazine
- Eurozine - Europe's leading cultural journals at your fingertips.
- Al Jazeera - Breaking News, World News and Video.
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- TAP : The American Prospect
- Flashbak - Everything Old Is New Again.
- ProPublica - Investigative Journalism and News in the Public Interest.
- Royal United Services Institute
- The Calvert Journal - A guide to the New East.
- C41 Magazine
- The War Zone
- U.S.-China Perception Monitor
- New Lines Magazine
- Truthout - Fearless, Independent News & Analysis.
- Reasons to be Cheerful
- openDemocracy - Independent media platform covering world affairs, ideas and culture. (Twitter)
- Offscreen Magazine - Independent print magazine that explores critical perspectives on technology through earnest conversations.
- viborc.com - Data-driven stories for bright minds.
- Foreign Affairs - American magazine of international relations and U.S. foreign policy.
- Dwell - Modern living, home design ideas, inspiration, and advice.
- n+1 - Print and digital magazine of literature, culture, and politics.
- The Baffler
- Awesome websites
- MOOCReport by Class Central - Latest news and trends in online education.
- some.fyi - Experiment to get more useful news.
- Original contents on HN (HN)
- Ness Labs - Provides content, coaching, courses and community to help makers put their minds at work.
- LessWrong - Community dedicated to improving our reasoning and decision-making.
- Wikipedia Random - Open a random wikipedia page.
- Personal RSS feed
- LOW←TECH MAGAZINE - Solar-powered, self-hosted version of Low-tech Magazine.
- Phys.org - News and Articles on Science and Technology.
- Max Planck Institute for extraterrestrial Physics
- DataTau - Data Science Newsboard.
- HN Deck - View multiple HN feeds at once. (HN)
- Tools and Toys - Hand-Picked for Work and Play.
- Old News is Ripe Knowledge
- Morning Brew
- dev.to (dev.to is now open source) (Code)
- HackerDaily - More informative and less addictive Hacker News. (HN)
- Google News
- sic - Community about everything that piques your curiosity and interest. (Code)
- National Review - Conservative News, Opinion, Politics, Policy, & Current Events.
- Code scripts machines, media scripts human beings.
- Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- News - I wrote briefly my opinion about consuming news and media. Although my opinion as stated in the article is still the same. My approach as indicated above has changed and hopefully became a bit more refined to meet my own goals.
- List of Hacker News's Undocumented Features and Behaviors (HN) (HN 2)
- Ask HN: Other online communities like HN? (2018)
- Curated list of awesome programming subreddits
- Stay Safe Out There: Navigating the Negatives on Twitter (2019)
- HN: List of Twitter mute words for your timeline (2020)
- Hacker News Search (Code)
- Slower News - Trends, micro-trends & edge cases. (Code)
- ACM Queue - Magazine for practicing software engineers.
- Datum - Browse hacker news comments with links about data.
- HN with Dark Mode
- Take control over your feeds to regain mindfulness (2020) (HN)
- Ask HN: Is it just me? why is “news” so addictive? (2020)
- An underrated way to keep up with web development (2020)
- The Fear Of Missing Out (2020) (Lobsters)
- Ask HN: What are some of your favorite journals or magazines? (2020)
- Ask HN: Alternatives to HN for non-Hacker News? (2020)
- Ask HN: What websites do you visit every day? (2021)
- Ask HN: What other news sources do you use? (2021)
- HN: Second-Chance Pool - Way to give links a second chance at the front page. (HN)
- How Trends.co stays up to date on things (2021)
- Ask HN: Hacker News like forums for other niches? (2021)
- Ask HN: Do any discussion boards that aren't Facebook/Reddit still exist? (2021)
- Ask HN: What are some other general link aggregators aside from HN? (2021)
- News - Collect news from different sources in just one place.
- What websites do you all check more than once per week? (2021)
- Ask HN: Whatever happened to exploring the internet? (2021)
- HN Best Comments
- Ask HN: What do you read for general knowledge? (2021)
- Ask HN: News site that provides world updates only when relevant? (2021) (HN)
- Ask HN: How do you get articles/papers/talks recommendations? (2021)
- sumi.news - Peaceful news feed. Follow RSS, Twitter, newsletters, and more. No ads, no algorithm, no distractions. (Code)
- The Syllabus - Knowledge Curation Platform. We index, rank, and review tens of thousands of newly published pieces across text, audio, and video. (Twitter)
- Ask HN: Where are you going to find long-form content online these days? (2022)
- Ask HN: Where do you hang out virtually online? (2022)
- Ask HN: What are some good tech magazines? (2022)
- Hacker News Notifications (Code)
- Things you notice when you quit the news (2016) (HN)
- Just Five News · Daily News (HN)
- Wikipedia Current Events
- The spread of misinformation: A pattern we see over and over (2022) (HN)
- Ask HN: What do you want from the news? (2022)
- Ask HN: How do you keep up with replies to comment threads on HN? (2022)
- HN Replies - Email Notifications for Hacker News Comment Replies. (HN)
- HN Go lib - Simple Hacker News client for Go.
- Subreply News - English-only, public forum that has nothing in common with ancient and untrustworthy social networks.
- Sqwok - Social chat alternative to Twitter and Reddit. (HN)
- Ask HN: Do you feel overwhelmed by the amount of information? (2022)
- Why do you waste so much time on the internet? (2022) (HN)
- Ask HN: What news subscription is worth it? (2022)
- Ask HN: Any viable alternatives to Google News? (2022)
- The Speed Report • Which news website is the fastest? (HN)
- Autosummarized Hacker News (with GPT-3)
- How to stop being “terminally online” (HN)
- Hckr News - Hacker News sorted by time. (HN)
- One App - Read HN/Reddit/.. in one website.
- A List Of Text-Only News Sites
- Ask HN: Where do you escape for non-clickbait thoughtful/informational content? (2022)
- News Homepages - Open-source archive that gathers, saves, shares and analyzes news homepages. (Code) (Runner)
- HN Ratio - Hacker News top 50 stories ranked by Comment/Score ratio.
- Как победить информационный шум
- Ask HN: Alternatives to The Economist? (2022)
- daily.dev - Homepage Developers Deserve. (Code)
- Ask HN: How do you keep track of all the content you encounter? (2022)
- DistilHN - Front-Page Articles Summarized with Machine Learning. (HN)
- My bad habit of hoarding information (2023)
- Ask HN: Sites with the quality of Hacker News, but for more general topics? (2023)
- GitHub Trending / HN feeds in one page (Code)
- Ask HN: Do you subscribe to print magazines anymore? (2023)
- Ask HN: How do you deal with information and internet addiction? (2023)
- Ask HN: Where to have good discussions online? (2023)
- Ask HN: More magazines like Quanta and Noema? (2023)
- How to read Hacker News threads with most recent comments first (HN)
- Quality News - Towards a fairer ranking formula for Hacker News. (HN)
- TrendBowl - New Web trends on a daily basis.