Amsterdam is my favorite city I've lived in thus far. I love how every city in NL is easily reachable by train and how cycling infrastructure is so well developed.
Loved visiting Maastricht. It was unlike any other city in NL with its architecture.
Paying tax in NL
You pay 21% VAT every 3 months on Belastingdienst. Then you pay once a year income tax. Put in your revenue, answer some questions and it tells you how much you owe in tax on your income.
Similar system is in most other EU countries at least.
- NS.nl season tickets are must have if you plan to travel more than a few times on the train in the month.
- Dal Voordeel (40 % discount on weekends + 40 % discount off peak) is great general discount.
- Dal Vrij (unlimited weekend + unlimited off peak hours) is great if you travel very often (i.e. work in one city and live in another).
- Heath insurance is mandatory. I used Unive and cz.nl cheapest plans they had. There might be even cheaper ones available.
- UWV (unemployment) benefits. werk.nl. uwv.nl. Need to work certain number of hours in a year to be qualified for the benefits. Submit income statement first of every month on uwv.nl. Need to show applications to 5 jobs every 4 weeks (Uw sollicitatieactiviteiten doorgeven). Can always arrange meeting or message for help on werk.nl website.
- NL has no capital gains tax.
- Private limited company (BV) setup in NL
- The ultimate guide to visiting Amsterdam
- Awesome Events in NL
- How the Dutch Created The Netherlands (2021)
- Is there a “New York dream” type of city in the Netherlands? (2021)
- Investment Taxation for Expats in the Netherlands
- How to become an EXPAT freelancer in the Netherlands (Start a business!) (2021)
- Dutch city recommendation (2021)
- List of Dutch inventions and innovations
- Elections in Holland: Dutch Democracy explained (2021)
- What is the Dutch Political Structure? (2021)
- Dutch politics resources
- What are some 'Hidden Gems' throughout the Netherlands? (2021)
- Why the Netherlands is the Best Country for Drivers (2021)
- Dutch Economy the Most Unequal? | Economist Responds to Economics Explained (2021)
- The Middle Class Experience: Netherlands vs. USA (2021)
- What’s your favorite thing about the Netherlands? (2021)
- What is your least favorite thing about the Netherlands? (2021)
- What do you find the most beautiful province of the Netherlands? (2021)
- Judicial system Netherlands
- Grocery delivery “dark stores” in Amsterdam (2022) (HN)
- Open Kamer - Insight into the Dutch parliament. (Code)
- Software Engineer Salaries in the Netherlands: 500 total compensation data points (2022) (Reddit)
- Why The Netherlands Is Insanely Well Designed (2022)
- Good sources for in-depth reporting in NL (2022)
- Crypto tax in NL (2022)
- Impact of 30% tax ruling in NL going away (2022)
- How would you rate live in the Netherlands after more than 10 years of Rutte? (2022)
- The Dutch city testing the future of urban life (2022) (HN)
- Suggestions for weekend getaway in NL
- Cheap good food places in Eindhoven
- What amazing thing does the Netherlands have that no other country has? (2022)
- People from other countries, where is the best place in Amsterdam for tasty, authentic food from your home country? (2022)
- What are some issues/problems you have in the Netherlands? (2022)
- Romantic trip to a dutch city
- What's wrong with the Netherlands? (2022)
- NL situation around energy crisis (2022)
- Book about the history of The Netherlands (2022)
- Dutch VAT (BTW) explained
- Dutch VAT and income tax for the self-employed
- The TaxSavers - Tax advisor in the Netherlands.
- The Netherlands Isn't Perfect (2022)
- Dutch doctors
- What would you change about Amsterdam? (2022)
- Sirius Smart Shop
- Louwman Museum
- Dutch FIRE Reddit
- Amsterdam coffee shops with cozy interior
- Amsterdam Art - Historical paintings of Amsterdam on a map. (Code) (Reddit)
- Nxt Museum
- The tax system in the Netherlands: a guide for taxpayers