- Start off with a strong position, then negotiate back to the place where you want it to be.
- In short:
- Know what result you want.
- Propose your result + a ton of wild unreasonable additions.
- Your opponent gets all disheveled by the unreasonable additions.
- You 'compromise' by walking back to what you want. You opponent gets a win and you get what you wanted all along.
- It doesn’t matter what you were paid at your previous gig, and don’t answer if they ask.
- My current compensation is part of the reason why am looking into other opportunities.
- Never overplay your hand when negotiating a major deal -- especially not against a stronger player. There are ways to be a strong negotiator without lying.
- A deal isn’t done until it’s closed. No matter how much you want to be on the same side of the table as the other party, don’t show your cards until the game is over. Be patient and learn when to keep your mouth shut.
- What are rules of thumb for salary negotiation? (2019)
- HOWTO negotiate your salary and benefits
- Job negotiation for programmers: the basic principles (2019)
- How to negotiate (2020)
- Questions you can ask about compensation (2020)
- Candor - Salary negotiation for top tech professionals.
- Otta: Explore salaries at London's most innovative companies
- Advice on negotiating (2020)
- Tough Qs to ask your remote employer who gives Cost Of Living based compensation (2020) (HN)
- Ask HN: Any luck negotiating better terms for on-call? (2021)
- How to Negotiate Your Tech Offer (2020)
- Tips for negotiating your salary (from an ex-FAANG recruiter) (2021)
- Ten Rules for Negotiating a Job Offer (HN)
- Ask HN: Negotiating Salary (2021)
- Fearless Salary Negotiation - Salary Negotiation for Software Developers.
- I once killed a $125M deal by being “too honest” (HN)
- Ask HN: How to negotiate salary with a remote distributed company? (2021)
- Tell HN: Did you know you can negotiate price on many things? (2022)
- Ask HN: How do you handle negotiation (2022)
- Ten Rules for Negotiating a Job Offer
- Ask HN: What should I bring up during salary negotiation as a junior developer? (2022)
- Valuable salary negotiation advice
- Ask HN: Salary negotiation? (2022)
- Always negotiate every offer