I now use iCloud to sync my files.
I used Dropbox previously to share and keep files on the cloud. Don't use it any more as I try to minimize unneccesary running processes on my macOS.
I currently only use it for sharing some files to download for people although plan to write my own service for this with Cloudflare Workers R2. I have a folder
Shares and inside it is where I put various files that I want to publicly share with people. I then use a modified version of Directory Watches workflow to scan through this folder from Alfred. I then modified one of the actions so that on pressing
return it gives me a shareable link of the file. Here is how that Alfred filter looks like for me:
It's pretty amazing as I can very easily query all the links I shared with anyone. I want to move this workflow to something I own myself.
For sharing files temporarily I use transfer.sh and Vitor's awesome Alfred workflow for it.
I also used Dropbox for sharing configuration of some apps like Alfred.
- Replacing Dropbox in favor of DigitalOcean spaces (2021) (HN)
- Maestral - Open source Dropbox client. (Code) (HN)
- Dropbox Sync does not natively support Apple Silicon (Reddit) (HN) (Tweet)
- git-remote-dropbox - Transparent bidirectional bridge between Git and Dropbox.
- Dropbox Rust SDK
- dboxpaper - Client for Dropbox Paper.