Sleeping is a way for our brains to flash out all the toxins that accumulated in the brain throughout the day. A kind of human garbage collector.
I never limit my sleep and I try to sleep as much as my body needs thus I wake up with no alarm.
I try to go to bed at the same time each day to maintain the Circadian rhythm.
- Consuming alcohol prior to sleep increases your avg sleeping heart rate by >10% because your liver is metabolizing alcohol and your body producing cortisol. You are forcing your heart to beat an extra 3k times during the night + getting lower sleep quality and lower recovery
- Do plants sleep? Anesthesia works on plants too, and we don’t know why.
- Plenty of exercise improves the quality of my sleep, therefore requiring not as much sleep.
- Sleep isn't restricted to organisms with a brain
- According to research by the NIIH in Japan, despite the popularity of using an alarm clock, waking up to a jolting noise can be bad for your heart. Waking up abruptly can cause higher blood pressure and heart rate.
- Matthew Walker Ph.D - Author of “Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams” (2018)
- What is the best sleeping position?
- Good sleep, good learning, good life (2012) (HN)
- Dr. Matthew Walker on Sleep for Enhancing Learning, Creativity, Immunity, and Glymphatic System (2019)
- Your brain may need sleep to repair DNA 'potholes' (2019)
- Sleep is your superpower | Matt Walker (2019)
- How do you sleep at night? (2019)
- Matthew Walker's "Why We Sleep" Is Riddled with Scientific and Factual Errors (2019) (HN)
- Ask HN: Best sleep trackers? (2020)
- HN: Deep Sleep May Help the Brain Clear Alzheimer's Toxins (2020)
- Pod Pro - Smart cooling mattress.
- Pod Pro Cover
- The Effects on Cognition of Sleeping 4 Hours per Night for 12-14 Days (2020) (HN)
- Dealing With Insomnia (2020) (HN)
- Not everyone needs 8 hours of sleep: new research (HN)
- Bedroom Tech (2020)
- The Stages of Insomnia (HN)
- 11 Exercises For Better Sleep (2020)
- Optimal sleep habits—Lessons learned (2020)
- Why do we dream? A new theory on how it protects our brains (2020) (HN)
- 8 great sleep hacks (2021)
- Kill the Alarm Clock (2017) (HN)
- Sleep in non-human animals
- Intro to sleep & brain development
- Ask HN: What has been the biggest contributor in improving your sleep? (2021)
- The Hidden Connection Between Sleep and Dementia (2021)
- Hydras suggest that sleep evolved before brains (2021) (HN)
- Ask HN: What's your sleeping setup(bed/pillows/sheets)? (2021)
- Sleep Loss Can Cause Death through Accumulation of Reactive Oxygen Species in the Gut
- Damage protection from long term stress and sleep deprivation (2021)
- Tip to sleep soundly
- Tips to improve sleep without buying $5k mattress (2021)
- Sleep technique used by Salvador Dalí works (HN)
- Notes on Walker – Why We Sleep (2021)
- Tips for sleeping better
- Impacts of lack of sleep (HN)
- First images of cerebrospinal fluid in the brain during sleep (2019) (HN)
- Theses on Sleep (2022) (HN)
- Chems that increase time spent in REM sleep (2022)
- Get better sleep – Anecdata and sleep tech (2022) (HN)
- Light exposure during sleep impairs cardiometabolic function (HN)
- How to Fall Asleep in 120 Seconds
- Helio Sleep - One-stop portal for sleep apnea. (HN)
- Why Do We Die Without Sleep? (2022)
- Why do we get tired and how does sleep fix it?
- The effects of sleep debt (2022) (HN)
- Ask HN: What helped you sleep better? (2022)
- SONU Sleep System - Mattress For Side Sleepers. (Tweet)