I love watching interesting talks on various subjects. I also love making talks and presenting in front of people.
I once made TEDx talk on mindfulness. I only have a transcript of it here. I hope to give more talks of my own soon.
- Growing a Language - Guy Steele (1998) - Transcript. (HN)
- John Sundell - Sharing (2018)
- Bret Victor - Inventing on Principle (2012)
- Drupal and the secret of my success | Steve Francia
- Apple WWDC 1997 Closing Keynote - Steve Jobs Fireside Chat
- Simplicity Matters - Rich Hickey (2012)
- MVC is Not Your Problem - Joachim Kurz (2018)
- 10 Things I Regret About Node.js - Ryan Dahl (2018)
- Make Data Structures" by Richard Feldman (2018)
- How Your Systems Keep Running Day After Day - John Allspaw
- A (Not So Gentle) Introduction To Systems Programming In ATS - Aditya Siram (2017)
- Giving a talk, it is often best to start with a
- I love the virtual conf format of "play pre-recorded video while speaker engages with the audience in chat". As a speaker, I enjoy interacting with the audience this way throughout the entire talk, and being able to answer questions without losing any speaking time.
- Give a roadmap whenever you start speaking. Signpost every argument. Explicitly state the implications of your arguments. Good debaters talk about facts, great ones talk about framing.
- My number one tip for giving conference talks: you're telling a story. Don't just read bullet points from slides!
- The most effective presentation skill is backchanneling, which is where you shop your idea to each stakeholder well ahead of time and get verbal buy-in. Presenting then becomes a cake walk because it'll essentially be a formality.
- How to prepare a talk
- Ask HN: What is your favorite tech talk? (2018)
- Awesome conference practices
- Awesome speaking
- Your IDE as a presentation tool
- Really like this way of using a textual overview to present the talk
- List of talks that are worth watching
- Tech talks that'll change how you think (2019)
- Preparing for a Tech Talk, Part 1: Motivation (2018)
- Preparing for a Tech Talk, Part 2: What, Why, and How (2019)
- CodeTalks - Like Youtube, but for developers.
- Speaking at conferences 101
- Ask HN: What are some resources to improve speaking skills? (2019)
- Tips for public speaking
- How to quickly create a talk from scratch
- Speaking At Technical Conferences
- pretalx - Conference planning tool focused on providing the best experience for organisers, speakers, reviewers, and attendees alike.
- On Conference Speaking (2017)
- How to run an Effective Board Meeting and make an Effective Board Deck
- How to Speak course
- Alexis King's talks
- Speaking Tips (2020)
- Notist - Your public speaking portfolio.
- List of best talks (2020)
- Badass Conference Talks
- workshopctl - Tool for running workshops easily in the cloud.
- Ask HN: Best Talks of 2020?
- Tech Talk Tips
- Notes on Speaking at EnthusiastiCon 2020
- Learn Improv - Improvisational comedy structures. (HN)
- Learn to be a great public speaker online in 8 weeks (2021)
- How to become a better public speaker
- Awesome Speakers - Awesome speakers in the programming and design communities.
- Ask HN: How to Speak Confidently? (2021)
- Transitions: The easiest way to improve your tech talk (2018)
- Ask HN: Best online speech / public speaking course? (2021)
- Demystifying Public Speaking by Lara Callender Hogan
- Best of 2020 in Tech Talks
- Presentation tips for performing professional Swift talks (2021)
- Reflection of Speaking in Public (2021)
- Public speaking tips I’ve learned through trial and error
- Best of 2021 in Tech [Talks]
- What is the best speech of all time?
- How to Read a Teleprompter without Looking Creepy
- Tech talks don’t have to be boring (2022) (HN)
- Lessons from taking a speech class
- Public Speaking Resources
- What’s the most mind blowing presentation / talk you’ve ever seen? (2022)