The best text editing experience you will ever get. It is worth learning it as you will start thinking about text editing differently.
I use VSCode with vim bindings as my main code editor. I also use vim bindings for any apps that deals with texts like Obsidan or Sublime Text. Vim bindings often mean modal bindings, i.e. I use Vimari to move inside Safari browser faster.
It switches between Ayu Light and Ayu Mirage themes as I change between macOS appearances.
I also use a little trick where I change the cursor from thin block in insert mode to underline when in normal mode. This lets me quickly know which mode I am in. I do same in VSCode as that's my main editor to write code in. I do look into new vim plugins for inspiration for plugins to build in VSCode.
- I can profile vim startup time with startuptime.
- I can run
:CheckHealthto see if there is anything wrong with my installation (only Neovim).
- Get plugins that meet your needs.
- You're more likely to find useful plugins if you approach it the other way around: I want to do X, vim can't do it nicely by itself, which plugin can help me do it.
- If something doesn't work in vimrc, put the binding in the bottom of vimrc (perhaps something overrides it).
- I care about reducing friction, and Vim's editing language is very good at that.
- The reason to use vim etc isn't because it makes you __% faster or "more efficient". It's because it turns coding into a game where you can hit sick combos.
" Insert text in the end of each line " s/ - substitute. " $ - the end of the line. " / - change it to. " , - a comma. :%s/$/,
" Lowercase line Vu
" Find char backwards F<char>
" Delete backwards until char dT<char>
" Visually select until char v/<char><return>
" Delete all lines in file :%d
" Yank two inner words " Yanks first and second words (with the trailing space) in the unnamed register y2aw
" Delete until start of line d0
" Yank entire file :%y+
" Select entire block Vat
" Visually select until end of line v$
" Visually select paragraph or function V}
" See whats in a buffer " See insides of q buffer :echo @q
" See registers :registers
" Delete until end of file VGx
" Visually select block V%
" Start recording macro " Record to register d qd
" Delete char under cursor x
" Yank inside tag. Can yank an XML tag for example yat
" Make multi line search. https://vim.fandom.com/wiki/Search_across_multiple_lines " Will carry over to new line \_s
" Inclusive search /foo/e
" Delete until searched string. Won't delete string itself. d/string
" Search and replace :%s/<search>/<replace>/g
" Run command on startup " Run ':Goyo' on startup. Put it in .vimrc autocmd VimEnter * Goyo"
" Insert text at start of each line in file " Insert // at start of each line in file :%s!^!//!
" Replay last macro @@
" Delete until character df<char>
" Centre current line zz
" Put results of command into a register " In normal mode, will put results of d$ command into _ (black hole register) "_d$
" Run macro on whole file :%normal @x " will run macro x
- You don't grok vim
- How to start learning Vim
- Vim Koans - Quite funny.
- Seven habits of effective text editing
- Go client for neovim
- Vim Golf
- Vim Is Not About hjkl
- Ask HN: What is one Vim trick most people don't know? (2018)
- Vim Proverbs
- tpope's Vim Config and Plugins (2014)
- veonim - Simple modal IDE built on neovim.
- The Last Statusline For Vim (2018)
- How I revamped my Vim setup (2019)
- Intermediate vim (Lobsters) (HN)
- vi Complete Key Binding List
- Effective VimScript (2019) (Reddit)
- Lobsters: Whats your vim setup like? (2019)
- nvim-lsp - Common configurations for Neovim Language Servers.
- We can have nice things (2019) (Slides)
- Vim like apps/plugins (HN)
- pack - Missing vim8 package manager.
- Neovide - No Nonsense Neovim Client in Rust.
- Lisp in Vim with Slimv or Vlime (2019)
- Build Your Own Vim Emulation for VS Code (2020) (HN)
- 130+ Essential Vim Commands (2020)
- libvim - Core Vim editing engine as a minimal C library.
- diagnostic-nvim - Wrapper for neovim built in LSP diagnosis config.
- Mastering Vim Quickly
- Missing Semester VIM lecture (2020) (HN)
- Make Vim Amazing videos
- Vim Life videos
- General purpose Language Server that integrate with linter to support diagnostic features
- Neovim Async Tutorial (2020)
- How Did Vim Become So Popular (2020) (HN) (Lobsters) (Reddit)
- Vim's Versatile CLI (2020) (Lobsters)
- GNvim - Rich Neovim GUI without any web bloat.
- Why Should You Learn Vim in 2020 (Lobsters) (HN)
- Vim Search, Find and Replace: a Detailed Guide (2020)
- Neovim 0.5.0: Language Server Protocol (2020)
- Neovim for macOS - Fast, minimal, Neovim GUI for macOS.
- VimTricks - Weekly Vim tips, tricks, guides, screencasts, and more.
- Learn Vim (the Smart Way) (HN)
- VIM quick-start, cheat-sheet, and links (2013)
- VimConf - Virtual vim conference.
- Vim: Sharpening the Axe (2020)
- Using LibUV in Neovim
- Beyond basic modal editing. Using vim's command-line mode (2020)
- Vimscript Language Server
- Vim Registers: What, How, and Macros (2020)
- GoNeovim - Neovim GUI written in Go, using a Qt binding for Go.
- pyvim - Pure Python Vim clone.
- NeoVims built-in Language Server Client and why you should use it (2020)
- Getting started using Lua in Neovim
- Firenvim - Embed Neovim in your browser.
- Why I teach vim (2020) (HN)
- Improving Vim Workflow With fzf (2020) (Lobsters)
- Vim Script Parser written in Go
- glrnvim - Fast & stable neovim GUI could be accelated by GPU.
- Five lines I put in a blank .vimrc (2020) (HN) (Lobsters)
- neovim-editor - WebComponent to embed Neovim to your app with great ease.
- How do you index code in your projects? (2020)
- At least one Vim trick you might not know (2019) (HN)
- A Vim Guide for Intermediate Users (2020) (Lobsters)
- The ABCs of vim (2020)
- Customizing Neovim LSP (nvim-lsp) (2020)
- popfix - Neovim lua API for highly extensible quickfix window.
- vim9jit - Vimscript but in Lua and fast.
- sql.nvim - SQLite/LuaJIT binding for lua and neovim.
- Neovim client for Julia
- neovim-lib - Rust library for Neovim clients.
- Your First VimRC 2021
- vim.so - Learn and Master Vim faster with interactive exercises. (HN)
- lspsaga.nvim - Light-weight lsp plugin based on neovim built-in lsp with highly performance UI.
- nlua.nvim - Lua Development for Neovim.
- Configuring Neovim using Lua (2021)
- Vim Guide for Advanced Users (2021) (HN) (Reddit) (HN)
- Extreme Vim Macros for Traditionalist Catholics (2021) (Reddit)
- Vim is Turing-Complete (2021)
- nvcode - Ultimate Neovim Config NVCode.
- Vim normal mode grammar
- Vim Tips You Probably Never Heard of (2021)
- Neovim 0.5 Is Overpowering (2021) (HN) (Lobsters)
- Xcode 13 Vim Mode
- Vim Cheat Sheet (Code)
- A Vim Guide For Veteran Users (2021)
- Neovim Discourse
- HN: Neovim v0.5 (2021)
- Vim is actually worth it (2021)
- Neovim News #11 - The Christmas Issue (2021)
- A Vim Guide For Experts
- Moving to modern Neovim (2021) (Lobsters)
- NVUI - NeoVim GUI written in C++ and Qt. (HN)
- Vim.is - Interactive Vim Exercises. (HN)
- My workflow using Vim (2021)
- DIY quality of life improvements - Anton Kastritskiy - Vimconf 2021
- vimconf.live : Buffer is King
- How to turn Vim into a powerful and beautiful IDE | Jess Archer, Vimconf 2021
- Lisp in Vim (2019)
- nvim-treesitter - Nvim Treesitter configurations and abstraction layer.
- What’s your favorite vim shortcut/hack (2022)
- Vim Reference Guide (HN) (Code)
- Vim University - Curriculum for leveling up your Vim.
- Why I love Vim: It’s the lesser-known features that make it so amazing (2016)
- Interview with a VIM Enthusiast 2022
- Git Jump to Vim Quickfix (2022)
- Neovim 0.7 (2022)
- What's New in Neovim 0.7 (2022)
- Learnings after 500 commits to my vimrc (2022)
- Neovim 0.7 Release (2022) (HN)
- Learn Neovim The Practical Way (2021) (Code)
- nvim-oxi - Rust bindings to all things Neovim.
- Neovim -- First Lua Config (2022)
- Vim 9.0 Released (2022) (HN) (HN) (Lobsters)
- Learn Vim the Simple Way (HN)
- VIM A-Z: A Text Object for Every Letter in the Alphabet (2022)
- History and effective use of Vim (2019) (HN)
- This Week In Neovim (Contents) (Code)
- Why use Vim
- How I Use Vim (2022)
- nvim-treesitter-textobjects - Syntax aware text-objects, select, move, swap, and peek support.
- nvim-treesitter-textsubjects - Location and syntax aware text objects.
- nvim-dap - Debug Adapter Protocol client implementation for Neovim.
- Neovim 0.8 Released (2022) (Summary)
- Ask HN: How to become good at Emacs/Vim? (2022)
- Interactive Vim tutorial (HN)
- 50 Useful Vim Commands
- Neovim Conf (Discord)
- Demo: How I use Neovim to contribute to open source (2022)
- What is one key map you use that you don't understand how other Vim users live without? (2022)
- Vim Tips for the Intermediate Vim User (2020)
- Bob - Version manager for neovim.
- VimR - Neovim GUI for macOS.
- Ask HN: Is Vim still worth learning? (2022)
- Neovim Conference 2022
- Vid in which Vim Saves Me Hours & Hundreds of Clicks
- 0 to LSP : Neovim RC From Scratch (2022)
- Effective Neovim: Instant IDE (2022)
- NeoVim Notebooks (HN)
- Vim Online Editor - Using WebAssembly, storing files using IndexedDB. (HN) (Code)
- Vim is touch-typing on steroids (2023) (HN)
- Learn Vim the Smart Way
- A Neovim Task Runner in 30 lines of Lua (2023)
- Using Vim 2023
- HN: Neovim 0.9 (2023)
- Vim Keybindings Everywhere – The Ultimate List (HN)
- Moving fast with the core Vim motions (HN)
- Plain text journaling in Vim (HN) (Lobsters)
- Using Vim's abbreviations (2020)
- How to survive without multiple cursors in vim (2023)
- My Favorite Vim Oneliners For Text Manipulation (2023) (Lobsters)