Don't spend time on IRC any more as it's UX is not great.
I have Matrix with Element setup to connect to some Freenode channels.
Although not sure how active they are still.
I once used Textual IRC client and ZNC network bouncer (via LunarBNC) to always keep me logged in to the servers as well as it keeping history logs when I am away.
Textual keeps a command reference here.
/list- Open channel list.
/msg *nickserv set <yourNSpassword>- Lets Nickserv autologin you. Can then run
/nick <your-nick>to login.
- If I ever get issues with logging in and me being Guest. I can: 1.
/msg NickServ RELEASE <nickname> <password>2.
/nick nikivimy nick
- IRC Gitter - Connect to Gitter with Textual.
- BotBot - IRC logs.
- WhatsApp web <-> IRC gateway
- picobounce - IRC bouncer that does just what I want and no more.
- Irssi - Modular chat client that is most commonly known for its text mode user interface, but 80% of the code isn't text mode specific.
- Pounce - Multi-client, TLS-only IRC bouncer. (Lobsters)
- HN: Many IRC servers (2020)
- RobustIRC - IRC without netsplits.
- Ergo - Modern IRC server written in Go. (HN) (Web) (HN)
- Synchronous Text (2019)
- Convos - Simplest way to use IRC in your browser. (Code) (Article)
- Modern IRC Client Protocol (Code)
- Quassel IRC - Modern, cross-platform, distributed IRC client. (Web)
- Why IRC is Still Good (2020) (Lobsters)
- BitlBee - IRC to other chat networks gateway. (Web)
- Kirc - Tiny IRC client written in POSIX C99. (HN)
- InspIRCd - Modular C++ IRC server. (Web)
- IRC Browse - Web service for browsing IRC logs. (Code)
- DarkScience - Group of enthusiasts with a shared interest in computer science. IRC server.
- Freenode - IRC network used to discuss peer-directed projects. (GitHub) (Contributing to Freenode IRC Network)
- The Lounge - Self-hosted web IRC client. (Lobsters)
- soju - User-friendly IRC bouncer. (Lobsters)
- History of IRC (Internet Relay Chat)
- Kiwi IRC - Web IRC client. (Code)
- I am resigning along with most other Freenode staff (2021) (HN)
- Libera Chat - Next-generation IRC network for FOSS projects collaboration. (HN)
- Freenode resignation FAQ
- Leaving Freenode for a new network (2021) (HN)
- Solanum IRCd - IRCv3 server designed to be highly scalable. (Code)
- IRC: run it or use it, but try to avoid doing both (2021) (Lobsters)
- Projects and channels that have decided to leave Freenode
- Atheme IRC Services - Set of services for IRC networks designed for large IRC networks with high scalability requirements. (Web)
- hackint - Communication IRC network for the hacker community. (GitHub)
- Goodbye Freenode (2021) (HN)
- The End of Freenode (2021) (Lobsters) (HN)
- EsperNet IRC Network
- How does IRC's federation model compare to ActivityPub? (2021)
- tiny - Terminal IRC client.
- go-irc - Simple go irc library meant to be a building block for other projects.
- Why is IRC distributed across multiple servers?
- IRCv3 Spec round-up (2021) (HN)
- soju - User-friendly IRC bouncer. (Code)
- OneBot - IRC bot in Python, based on irc3.
- Simplicity of IRC (2022) (Lobsters) (HN)
- Design and Prototypical Implementation of an IRC Chat Server in Erlang OTP (2022)
- miniircd - Very simple Internet Relay Chat (IRC) server.
- autobrr - Monitors IRC announce channels to get releases as soon as they are available with good filtering.
- Matrix gateway for IRC - Connect to Matrix from your favorite IRC client.
- Limnoria - Robust, full-featured, and user/programmer-friendly Python IRC bot, with many existing plugins.
- ergochat/irc-go - Libraries to help with IRC development in Go.
- SourceHut is committed to making IRC better (2022) (Lobsters)
- girc - Flexible IRC library for Go.
- IRC × OAuth 2.0 (2022)
- nibblrjr - Overengineered IRC bot framework.
- Rust IRC crate