Currently I use Arq to make scheduled (every 120 hours & after 21:00) encrypted cloud backups of macOS to BackBlaze. iOS as well as
~/Desktop on macOS are automatically backed up to iCloud. Other documents are backed up with Dropbox.
I love the fact that I can set up any new mac or phone to use my
exact and perfect setup without any cruft in seconds. All my dotfiles are online and can be setup on any new mac via few commands, thanks to Nix.
For programming, Walrus seems nice.
- Arq - Automatically backs up Macs and Windows PCs.
- Restic - Fast, secure, efficient backup program. (HN) (Web) (Rest Server) (GitHub) (Home backups using Restic) (HN) (Restic by Example) (HN) (Awesome)
- BorgBackup - Deduplicating archiver with compression and authenticated encryption.
- HashBackup - Unix command-line backup program to create a local backup, remote offsite backup, or both, in your own storage accounts.
- Kopia - Simple, cross-platform tool for managing encrypted backups in the cloud. (Web) (HN)
- knoxite - Data storage & backup system.
- Rclone - Command line program to sync files and directories to and from different cloud storage providers. (HN) (Web) (HN) (syncrclone)
- bup - Very efficient backup system based on the git packfile format, providing fast incremental saves and global deduplication.
- encbup - Companion to bup, the backup program. encbup adds encryption to bup, while still allowing per-file deduplication.
- Conserve - Robust portable backup tool in Rust.
- tm - Time Machine recovery utility for the six-or-so people who still use Time Machine for version control.
- Unison - File-synchronization tool for OSX, Unix, and Windows. (Web)
- Tarsnap - Online backups for the truly paranoid. (CLI client) (HN)
- Bupstash - Encrypted backups made easy. (Code) (Introducing Bupstash) (Lobsters) (The Bupstash Garbage Collector)
- BlobBackup - Simple Backups to Any Storage.
- zrepl - One-stop ZFS backup & replication solution. (Docs)
- Linux Time Machine - Rsync-based OSX-like time machine for Linux, MacOS and BSD for atomic and resumable local and remote backups.
- Autorestic - High level CLI utility for restic. (Docs)
- Walrus - Fast, Secure and Reliable System Backup, Set up in Minutes. (Web)
- awsbackup.sh - Bash script for personal backup with Amazon Web Services S3 Glacier Deep Archive.
- nFreezer - Encrypted-at-rest backup tool, designed specifically for the case when the destination server is untrusted.
- rsync - Cloud Storage for Offsite Backup. (Code) (rsyncparse) (rsync-go) (rsync: Scenarios)
- Bakelite - Incremental backup with strong cryptographic confidentiality baked into the data model.
- shallow-backup - Git-integrated backup tool for macOS and Linux devs.
- paperback - Paper-based backup scheme that is secure and easy-to-use.
- Duplicati - Store securely encrypted backups on cloud storage services.
- Data that is not backed up is lost data.
- Even the smallest file can take days to recreate.
- Tao backup - Pretty funny take on backups.
- Rsync time backup
- Cloud Backup Comparison. Which one is the fastest? (2019)
- Lessons learned when my SSD died (2018)
- Lobsters: Where do you host your back ups? (2019)
- go-backblaze - Go client for Backblaze's B2 storage.
- How to store data forever (2020) (Lobsters)
- Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage Now Has S3 Compatible APIs (2020) (HN)
- tmignore - Exclude development files from Time Machine backups.
- Setting up your backup service (2020)
- Organizing Data Through the Lens of Deduplication (2020) (Lobsters)
- Backing up data like the adult I supposedly am (2020) (Lobsters) (HN)
- Automatic restic backups using systemd services and timers
- Encrypted Backup Shootout (2021) (HN)
- Back up your MacOS (2021)
- Personal data backup plan (2020)
- How I store my files (2021) (HN)
- Saving a restic backup the hard way (2021)
- Ask HN: How should I back up data on devices if I'm not smart? (2021)
- Asimov - Automatically exclude development dependencies from Apple Time Machine backups.
- Backups and Corruption (2021)
- What is the best backup solution for self-hosted services? (2021)
- Btrbk - Tool for creating snapshots and remote backups of btrfs subvolumes. (Web)
- Frictionless external backups with systemd (2021) (Lobsters)
- The 3-2-1 Backup Rule – Why Your Data Will Always Survive (2021)
- How I back up all my data
- Backblaze restore for Personal Backup is awful (2021)
- Ask HN: What is your system for backing up family photos and video? (2022)
- Bleanser - Tool for cleaning old and redundant backups.
- qmpbackup - Live Qemu Incremental backup using dirty-bitmaps.
- Tape - Backup and restore software settings on macOS.
- Ask HN: If Apple integrated Time Machine with iCloud, would you use it? (2022)
- A almost perfect rsync over ssh backup script (2022)
- Blobbackup - Private, Secure Computer Backups. (Code) (HN)
- Blackbox - Magically save your database backups and critical logs in your favorite cloud storage provider.
- bacup - Easy-to-use backup tool designed for servers - written in Rust.
- Correct Backups Require Filesystem Snapshots (2022) (HN)
- Hoard - Program for backing up files from across a filesystem into a single directory and restoring them later. (Docs)